Friday, April 20, 2018

April 20th, 2018

Hey there,

This week, started the long overdue ode to my beloved Yo La Tengo to share in this space.  It is already very long and am not going to be able to finish it in time to share today.  By the way, when you see it next week, read it or don't, it was something I wanted to do and likely will be of interest only to me.  In the meantime, and in honor of it being 4/20, some quick hits...

Am almost all the way back in the technology department with the printer/scanner talking to me again.  Here is a photo from around 1975ish.  Ballers gonna Ball.



I have many photos with hilariously large afros.  This one is a damn fire hazard.  Is there any question as to why the girls shied away from me?

Some days, like yesterday, am so damn efficient that I seem to break the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics.

Reading the story of Prince's demise made me terribly sad.

When I went to the Raiders game last November with my buddy Norm, I did something for him and he goes "I appreciate you" and called out that he now says 'you' instead of 'it'.  Thought it odd but could see the value.  Since then, I hear it said as 'you' all over the place and guess this is a thing we say now?  OK...

A week or two back,  said I didn't have much news on the Boy.  Still don't, but I knew he was pledging a fraternity.  This picture of some advertisement for a party at his frat made it into my transom and had to share.

So curious about what's going on there and can tell you no background for it other than he doesn't play keyboards, don't recall him ever watching Scooby Doo and SARA is Sexual Assault Resource Agency.

Recall giving a bunch of reasons for writing this diary (hate the term blog) every weekish for six years, and they are all probably true to some extent, but Betty reminded me of another one as I dropped her off at the airport the other day for another trip.  She said "Send me some notes about what's going on at home so I feel connected."  I do try but am not that great at it.  This space is a great vehicle to detail stuff and she can read it at her leisure and follow up as she sees fit.

Speaking of vehicles, going back a couple of months to our Spain trip recap, suspected that I was gonna get at least one speeding ticket.  As we get mail in chunks every couple/three months, had been waiting for the latest parcel to arrive and sure enough, the traffic bureau of Bilbao hunted me down.  What is the cost of doing 137km in an 80km zone (85mph in a 53mph) in the Basque Country you ask?  150 euros.  Damnit.  For that price they could have taken a better photo of our SEAT Leon



Was killing some time body surfing the internet on Sunday night and almost every site had some article slamming Taylor Swift for covering Earth, Wind and Fire's "September".  Would normally pass over this, but the quantity of articles on this "tragedy" made me think there had to be something there.  The original version is a staple in our collective consciousness.

Funky, way overplayed for my taste, but still great.  The opinion pieces were uniformly so mad at Swift for appropriating black music.  I took a look at the lyrics and they are your basic love song stuff,  It's not like she covered Fight The Power or anything.

The Swift version isn't in a genre that flicks my Bic, but it is fine, her voice is nice and it is a gawdamn love song.

The Isley Brothers covered 'Summer Breeze' for cryin' out loud.  Hey internet, climb off of Taylor Swift's dick for a second and go clear your mind with a walk in the summer breeze


Know you've been waiting for my bi-annual Hot Dog booth recap, so here goes.  Going in, we had 800 to sell and the forecast was for hot and humid weather.  Betty was in town and she is a big help as she takes the charge of the inside of the booth so I can focus on the grill.  The problem is that she takes charge and starts ordering me...Me!...around.

The event starts at 10am, and at 9:59am, we get a thunderstorm.  It doesn't rain all day, but 3 times for a good 30-45 minutes, we get dumped on hard.  We totally Urban Caveman out and keep the product rolling.

The discussion as to the best angle to hold the umbrella so as to keep the dogs dry while still funelling the water onto our co-grillers was pretty enjoyable.  We sold out at 2pm and it was a good time as always.  Most of the same folks come help and we had just the right amount of new blood to keep it fun.  Best moment was when the ladies in the booth saw a group of pre-schoolers from a local school walking by and suggested we give them some.  They were adorable and hung around eating them for a long while.  The funniest was when one little girl came up with her mouth totally full of hot dog and her hand out for another.  We said you already got one and with chunks of saliva soaked bun shooting out of her mouth, and with the most devilish of expressions said 'no I didn't'



Was chatting with one of the very Taiwanese ladies last week about food and how much we differ in what we like.  Neither of us can really grasp how the other person eats what they do and she says that she has a Taiwanese stomach.  Makes sense as my stomach is solidly based in SoCal.  Then I say that my wife loves the Taiwan food as she was born here, but that she also spent time in South America and loves that cuisine too, and with decades in the States, has an American stomach as well.  That gives her 3 stomachs...one more and that would make her a what?  It might explain how she is able to travel so easily though.

Speaking of Chinese stomachs, seems Babydoll is developing hers.  Have said previously that it is obvious that she is becoming Chinese at the molecular level.  For example, for dinner last night, I didn't have time to prepare anything so we were gonna get something out.  I suggested a couple of our go-to's, like the Mediterranean place or pizza, and she looks at me and says in an exasperated tone, "I wish you liked it, but I am craving Chinese soup."  If she develops an intolerance to lactose, I am giving up.

Love this time of year for sports as Aussie Rules is awesome and that baseball is fresh and hasn't gotten into the summer grind.  Otani is must see TV and just the daily chatter and drama is my version of soap opera stories.  I love third base and there is a great crop of them out there (did you know that Third has the fewest Hall of Fame inductees?).  I rotate as to who my current favorite is as I like Arenado in Colorado, and the new guy in Oakland is tearing it up and am making plans to go out to see him in July.  But I heard a story the other day and it was instantly clear who my new favorite is.  Adrian Beltre has been around forever and has been both a Dodger and a Mariner (and sadly a Red Sock), and he just became the all time Latino hit leader so the baseball podcast I listen to every day (Baseball Tonight with Buster Olney) was talking about him and telling stories.  While he has always been a great player and sure hall of famer, he is also universally loved.  He famously hates to have his head touched, so now, everyone feels the need to touch it just to mess with him.

That is one of many videos on the subject.  The story they told the other day was about how he came to the States to play as a teenager and knew no English and they asked him what was the first thing he learned how to say.  He doesn't like his head touched, but he hates pickles even more, and as eating fast food was the easiest thing to to do as a Spanish speaking only teenager, the first words he learned how to say in English was "No Pickles".  As someone that struggles with saying anything in Chinese and also hates pickles, I want to give him a hug.

1 comment:

  1. Funny this week. Love the fro... sign Moo

    ReplyDelete