Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March 12, 2013

Woke up this morning and found this spelled out on the refrigerator.
I've been known to raid the fridge for a mid-night snack from time to time, but don't recall making any refrigeration magnet declarations.  No one has claimed responsibility either and there is certainly no lack of legitimate suspects.

There is a personal grooming trait amongst some elderly Chinese men that I have tried to ignore and put into the different strokes for different folks pile, but still makes me gag and look away every time I see it.  Am talking about the hairy mole guy

Not that kind...these guys.


I know that it is supposed to be lucky and signifies wisdom, and am sure it must help with your digestion, but so freaking gross.

I made a comment to Betty the other day how you rarely see blind people around town.  I grew up watching Kung-Fu and thought I'd see these blind Masters tooling around at least occasionally.  It is not a very pedestrian friendly place for those with perfect sight, but how cool would it be to see these blind Shaolin masters dodging traffic using their other senses.  Betty commented that Asia is not a very good place to be handicapped.  Ouch.  Think I'll watch an episode of Kung-Fu on Youtube tonight. 

Saw a new bug yesterday.  
 

Hard to see but they are fire red and ominous looking. From what I could discern on-line, they are the Japanese beetle and learned from this article that they are not only harmless, but are quite amazing parents. It appears that they will go into hibernation soon enough, but they freaked me out when I saw tree of them crawling on my leg.   What is it with the Asians and the color red?

Woke up the other day to find three mosquito bites on my calf.  They seem to attack the kids more than me, so guessed that it's because their blood is closer to the surface and easier to extract.  Got me to thinking about mozzies, how they go about their business, and if there were any ways to limit ones exposure.  Some interesting but ultimately useless facts?  Mosquitoes don't take blood for food, but rather it is the lady mosquitoes that bite as they use the blood to make their nests.  They can sense carbon dioxide keenly and are attracted to heat, so know where you are at all times.    Mosquitoes can live up to 5 months and unlike bees, they do not die after they sting/bite you.  The same mosquito can bite you several times at once and they can bite through clothing (even denim).  The color of clothing you wear doesn't seem to have much of an effect, and the only positive thing I can find is that they don't like the smell of garlic.  Luckily, Chinese food is loaded with it and I use it a lot in what I cook, so my takeaway from this exercise is to double down on the garlic.

Finally for today, Carolyn went to a b-day party over the weekend with a friend who is Israeli.  The friends mom was name was Hagar.  Had never seen that name outside of the classic cartoon.  I really identify with that guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment