Saturday, March 5, 2016

March 6th, 2016

I don't have to head to the hospital for a bit, so thought I'd get out a couple more things while I have a moment...

Mentioned a few weeks ago that I was going to eliminate the word 'actually' from my vocabulary.  I know a lady that uses it in almost every sentence and when she says it, I immediately discount her point.  For instance, "actually, that place is really good." means the place sucks. 

I am now trying to eliminate another word from my speech..."very".  Was listening to Marc Maron interview the famous director Williem Friedkin (The French Connection/The Exorcist), and he made the case that it had no real meaning or value and was used by lazy speakers/writers to describe things instead of using other words.  Made me think about it and am in agreement. 

Two of my biggest bitches about Taiwan are the total assholes on the road, and the brutal weather.  I doubt that I will ever be able get to the point where those two things to not bug me to the point of total frustration/exhaustion/aggravation.  I do have to give credit where it is due and today, I present to you an example of the social honesty that I love about this place.  At the local fresh market near our place is a stand where I buy a veggie drink.  It's called the healthy 5 Vegetable and they grind up the good stuff, add a touch of sweet juice to it and off I go.  They do it in the blender instead of the juicer for me to keep the fiber and if I return the bottle, I get NT$10 (about 35 cents) off my next drink.  They speak no English but seem like nice people and always wave and say hello even if I'm not buying that day.  I went to refill my jug last week after being on vacation so had not been there for at least 10 days.  As I'm paying, the boss lady tells the clerk to hold on, she pulls out the money tray to grab a piece of paper bound up with rubber bands.  She starts in with some speil in Mandarin and gives me back NT$10 and I have to assume that I overpaid with my returnable bottle the last time.  That they would take the time and effort to do that and remember to give me back 35 cents is just precious and it is these little signs of honesty that not only restore a faith in society, but make the decision to hang out here for God only knows how much longer more palatable. 

Was talking to our tax people the other day and asked about something another ex-pat told us, and that is us getting an APRC card.  Currently, we are allowed to stay in Taiwan under an ARC (Alien Resident Card) as Betty has employment.  The second she doesn't have that job, we're gone.  However, after being here for 5 years, we can apply for the APRC (Alien Permanent Resident Card) which would mean that working or not, we could stay here forever.  Of course we will look into that and see if we can keep it while still living in the States, and if it also comes along with permanent access to their National Health Insurance, as it is always nice to have a back-up plan.  I cannot envision ever wanting to live here forever, but I am keeping close watch on this election cycle and shit is weird.  I still cannot fathom the US electing the Drumph, but I absolutely never thought months ago that he would be this close to being the nominee.  It cannot be that the majority of those voting for him are the nativistic racist types as there just aren't enough of those.  The GOP "Establishment" is freaking out and the theory that I've seen put forth that makes sense is that a lot of those voters are simply rejecting the Establishments principles in general.  You hear all of them paying tribute to these priciples...no to gay marriage, immigrants/planned parenthood are bad, guns guns guns, fealty to Grover Nordquist for lower taxes for the rich, etc.  Excluding the above mentioned narrow minded idiots who have never been outside of their own kind, most of us have met a gay person who we cherish.  Most of us know an immigrant (usually in our own ancestry) and can see their passion and understand that they are what made America the greatest country ever.  Many of us have been to planned parenthood.  Most of us hate guns and if we don't hate them, understand that having the most powerful ones everywhere all the time is utterly ridiculous.  And most of us know that the rich get rich because of this country and that they should pay into it at levels that are at least equal to everyone else.  So when they hear Ted Cruz and the like get up there and say that immigrants, planned parenthood, gay marriage is bad and that lower taxes for the rich and guns everywhere are good, and God made it that way...they're out.  My Jesus is diametrically opposed to all of that.  Before (or at least since Reagan) Republicans had no one that was on the side of lesser government without all this puritanical bullshit, but Drumph is that guy and is getting the crowd to hold their nose on the cock grabbing schtick and pull the lever for him.  How can the Establishment not see that being on the wrong side of history is a losing proposition.  Anyhoo, while folks are tripping out on the Trump thing, I am optimistic that this is the death knell for that Establishment and that they will get back to the party of working to reduce government by efficiency and not the one of bible thumping isolationism.  I'd be totally in to reconsider my affiliation and think a majority of us would.  If not, will keep my APRC card close by.

As a counterpoint, have been reading up on the newly elected President in Taiwan, who takes office in May, Tsai Ing-Wen, and she appears to be to good to be true.  The below is from Upworthy, a site that you should put into your rotation.  Enjoy and talk soon.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment